BER Cert

Before you can sell or rent any building in Ireland including the family home, you are now required to have a Building Energy Rating Certificate issued for the building.

The requirement was first introduced for new houses in January 2007  that were offered for sale of rent.

Under the EU’s Energy Performance of Buildings Directive, from which the house will be issued with a Building Energy Rating (BER) Certificate.

The requirement for a BER assessment also applies to people who build their own homes: According to a Sustainable Energy Ireland (SEI), the body that administers the EPBD in Ireland, “an assessment is also required for any self build house before the occupant moves in.”

The EU Directive requires a BER to be registered for all buildings except for a few exceptions (eg. listed buildings of outstanding architectural or historical importance and outhouses such as barns) that are offered for sale or rental. This also applies to existing rental properties on renewal of a lease or earlier if the tenant requests proof of the building’s rating.


Comments are closed.